Is there a healthy habit you want to add to your life? Maybe you get started on the right track and after a couple of days your efforts start to fade. Every wonder how to go about adding that habit, and getting it to stick around? Here are a few steps to make that happen:
- Select only one habit to add per week and do it every day – Choose only one new habit to work on at a time. This will make it so you’ll be able to focus all your energy on that one habit, and only that one habit. All to often, when we get the kick to start something new and healthy, we try to incorporate too many things at once and invariably nothing sticks around.
- Make sure to keep your new habit simple – Choose one new healthy habit for the week, but make sure to keep it simple and easy to accomplish. At Epic Fitness, our clients call these their “I Will’s.” What will you do today to make your life healthier? You can make it as simple as:
- Getting 8 hours of sleep every night for a week
- Drinking an extra glass of water each day.
- Getting 20 minutes of some type of activity each day. Something as simple as walking around the block works great here!
- Write down your “I Will” and specifically state WHAT you are going to do each day, and WHEN you will do it each day – This makes it measurable and you can say whether you were successful that day or not. Also choose the same time every day to complete this new healthy habit.
- Post your “I Will” publicly – Tell as many people as possible that you are trying to form a new habit and ask them to support you and remind you daily about your goal.
- Report on your progress daily to those same people you told your “I Will”
Remember: If you want to create a new healthy habit, SELECT, WRITE DOWN, POST and REPORT and always KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE! You are doing something to improve yourself. You will have some days where you miss the mark, but don’t let that stop you from reaching your “I WILL.” Every day ask yourself, “How did I do today?” If you completed your “I WILL” that day, congratulations! If you didn’t, start over again tomorrow. These five steps will make a huge difference in helping you to create lasting lifestyle change! Now, don’t wait until Monday, or the first of the month. Start NOW!